Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day Thirty-Eight : Maundy Thursday


Many people do not ‘celebrate’ Maundy Thursday.  It is the night before Good Friday, where we remember :

  • The institution of the Last Supper
  • Jesus washing his disciples feet
  • Jesus praying in the Garden.

 

Last year, I chose to focus on the disciples keeping watch.  This year I want to think about the washing of the feet. (But go read last year’s one anyway, it was quite good. )

 

Jesus has only hours left to show his disciples what they need to do, and leave a message with them.  And he chooses the object lesson of washing their feet.

He shows his love.  Not just saying “I love you”, by showing them :

  1. He knew how filthy their feet were, yet he loved them enough to wash them clean.  (Don’t forget, Judas was there as well.)
  2. He knew they didn’t understand it, but he loved them enough to do it anyway.
  3. He knew they would resist Him.  (“Master, you shall never wash my feet.”) Yet he did it anyway.

If my child goes rolling in mud, I imagine they would be pretty filthy, clueless, and resistant to being cleaned.  Yet I would still love them, because of who they are, and who I am. 

That’s how much Jesus loved them.  That’s how much he loves us.

That’s why he was prepared for what was coming tomorrow…

1 comment:

  1. This shows me just how much of a sinner I am, and how much I need Him.

    ReplyDelete