Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day 6: Commitment



But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD. (Joshua 24:15)

 

Familiar words for many of us.    Simple.  Direct.  Straightforward.

A spirit of …

COMMITMENT

 

One of my favourite Psalms is Psalm 16.  If we look at the first two verses, it says “Keep me safe, O God, for in you I take refuge.  I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing."

Note that David is doing more than just acknowledging that GOD is his Lord, he is making it so by his words. GOD is the Lord, there is no two ways about that one; but here he is placing himself under his Lordship. Saying to him “today, I choose to make you my Lord.  Today, I choose to follow you.”

Today, how are we going to acknowledge GOD’s Lordship of our lives?  How are we going to show Him, and those around us, who we serve?

No matter what may arise.  No matter what temptations we may face.  No matter what others might do.  Will we make a stand, and say “No, I will serve the Lord.”

No comments:

Post a Comment