Thursday, April 5, 2012

Maundy Thursday


I mentioned Maundy Thursday a few years ago, and said that it is where we remember :

Jesus washing his disciples feet

  • Jesus praying in the Garden.
  • The institution of the Last Supper

In the past few years, I focused on the first two, so this year I want to think about the third.


On the night that he was betrayed, Jesus took bread and broke it.  After giving thanks, he gave it to his disciples saying “This is my body, which is broken for you.”  In the same way, after supper he took wine, and offered it to them saying “This is my blood, shed for you.  Whenever you drink it, do it in memory of me.”

Whatever our reason for taking part in Communion/Mass/Eucharist, whatever our beliefs about the theological significance, whatever our understanding of it… one thing is clear… Jesus was trying to tell us that we needed to be part of the sacrifice that he was about to make.  He was going to do all the hard work, but it was our sacrifice as well.  We have to accept our part in it, by accepting the sacrifice, and by continuing to live in accordance with that sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment