Saturday, March 6, 2010

Day 16 : Maturity


We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil. (Hebrews 5:11-14)

We have a simple faith, but that doesn’t give us an excuse to be stupid.  GOD never told anyone to be stupid.  (I know, I looked it up.)

When we first pick up the Bible, we probably won’t understand it.  I’ve been reading it for 25 years and it still tells me a new story every time I listen.  It was given to us as a gift, and failing to understand it is to reject that gift.

We won’t all be scholars, we might take our entire lives to to get to the same place that someone else starts at.

But the willingness to grow is what is important.  To seek to learn more.  The writer to the Hebrews says “by constant use [they] have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil”  It doesn’t say they are smarter than anyone else, or more gifted.  It says they have “trained themselves” by “constant use.”

Am I willing to grow, or am I just wanting to rest on my salvation and let others do my thinking for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment